Cities and People.
‘Jeeves,’ I said, have you ever pondered on Life?’
‘From time to time, sir, in my leisure moments.’
‘Grim, isn’t it, what?’
‘I mean to say, the difference between things as the way they look and things as
(P.G. Wodehouse, 1930:18)
The medium of photography has grown through the ages in cultural, social and
psychological significance. Like different species of a genus there are now
photography is nuanced infinitely by underlying modes and motives. Nevertheless, it
continues be the most powerful medium to represent (accurately or inaccurately)
life around us. They are fragmentary analogues of the lives lived and meanings
The Cities & People photography competition invites you to send in photographs
that capture life in the liminal spaces, that evade glossy magazine spreads and travel
- A photograph befitting the theme and abstract of the competition is to be
- A suitable caption that conveys the idea of the photograph must be
provided. The caption must be complete and accurate, sufficient to convey the
circumstances in which the photograph was taken.
- A Photograph must be submitted digitally, composed in one A4 (210x297
mm) size, with the caption positioned below the photograph and the
registration number on the top right corner of the sheet.
- The entries must be in PDF format not exceeding 5MB.
- The caption must be single spaced, Times New Roman, size 14 with a word
limit of 100.
- Up to 3 entries are permissible per participant /group.
- Winning Entrants must be able to provide a high-resolution digital file
(minimum 2500px wide@300dpi suitable for offset printing if required.) This
file will also be used to prove the ownership of the image. Winning Entrants
who do not fulfil these eligibility criteria will be deemed ineligible and
disqualified without the right to appeal.
- Submission of both B & W and Colour photographs are acceptable.
- Elements of the picture cannot be altered in any manner, including the
following prohibited changes: adding, removing, rearranging, inversing, or
distorting or removing subjects and/or objects from the image. Additionally,
the following alterations, but not limited to, are not allowed: removal of dirt,
bubbles, debris. Cloning or altering pixels, in any manner, is not permitted.
Composite imagery is not acceptable.
- Watermarks are unacceptable. Unless Sponsor receives a non-watermarked
version of the Submission within five (5) days following its request, the
Submission will be disqualified.
- Staging or re-enacting a scene or event is not permitted.
- Only minor burning, dodging and/or colour correction is acceptable, as is
minor cropping. High dynamic range images (HDR) and stitched panoramas
acceptable. Any changes to the original photograph not itemized here or in
the Guidelines are unacceptable and will render the Submission ineligible for
- Adjusting colour or conversion to grayscale is permitted, with the exception of
significant changes in colour or hue are not acceptable. The submitted image
should reflect the original image captured in camera.
- Eligibility:The competition is open to all above 18 years of age. Participation can be
individual or in a team. A team can have a maximum of two members only.
- Fees: None
- Last day of Submission: 24 August 2019
- Announcement of Winners: 01 Sep 2019
Note: Plagiarised work will not be accepted. If the entry is found to be partially or
wholly plagiarised, the entry will be rejected and the entrant(s) disqualified.
- Creativity, Photographic quality and Thematic relevance
- Clear understanding and conveyance of theme.
SUBMIT your entries at
Call: +91 9946102893